Who's involved when buying or selling a home

In Canada, buying or selling a home is a complex process that involves multiple parties. Whether you're a first-time homebuyer or an experienced seller, understanding the roles of each party can help make the transaction smoother. From real estate agents to mortgage brokers and lawyers, here's a breakdown of who's involved when Canadian buyers are buying or selling a home.

Here who you will meet when buying a home:
  • Real estate agent
  • Mortgage broker/lender
  • Home inspector
  • Appraiser
  • Lawyer/notary public
  • Title insurance company
  • Home insurance provider

Real estate Agent

A real estate agent can be a valuable resource for homebuyers. They can help you navigate the real estate market and identify properties that meet your specific needs and budget. They can also provide guidance on making offers, negotiating the purchase price, and ensuring that all legal requirements are met. In Canada, real estate agents are licensed professionals who are held to a high standard of ethical conduct.

Mortgage Broker/Lender

A mortgage broker or lender is a financial institution or individual who provides financing for the purchase of a home. They can help you understand your options and obtain pre-approval for a mortgage. They will also work with you to complete the application process, assess your creditworthiness, and determine how much you can borrow. Here are some trusted mortgage brokers:

Home Inspector

A home inspector is a professional who assesses the condition of a home before you buy it. They will inspect the property and identify any issues or concerns that you should be aware of before completing the purchase. This can include issues with the roof, foundation, plumbing, electrical system, and other aspects of the home. Here are some trusted home inspectors:


An appraiser is a professional who assesses the value of a property. They will provide an independent assessment of the value of the property you are interested in buying, which can help ensure that you are not overpaying for the home. Here are some trusted home appraisers

Real Estate Lawyer/notary public

A lawyer or notary public is a legal professional who can help you navigate the legal aspects of buying a home. They will review the purchase agreement and other legal documents, ensure that all legal requirements are met, and facilitate the transfer of ownership. Here are some real estate lawyers in Calgary

Title insurance company

A title insurance company provides insurance that protects you from losses related to defects in the title of the property you are buying. This can include issues with ownership, liens, and other legal matters that could affect your ability to use and enjoy the property. Here are some trusted title insurance companies:

Home insurance provider

A home insurance provider offers insurance that protects your home and personal belongings from damage or loss. You will need to obtain home insurance before you can take possession of your new home, and your mortgage lender may require proof of insurance before providing financing. Here are some trusted home insurance providers: